Monday, March 16, 2009

A Letter from my Boss

Subject Heading: Glen Beck's 912 project VS. SF internet series project912

What is Project 912? Why are thousands of Glen Beck's viewers either accusing me of hacking his site or joining something called the "Human Resistance"? How did my website get 50,000 hits in an hour thanks to Mr. Beck?

My name is Andros Sturgeon. I am an Internet Media Producer and Entertainment Pioneer. I'm producing an online Science Fiction series here in the Pacific Northwest called ‘Project 912'. Without a doubt, it will be the most subversive series in the history of entertainment. Science Fiction is in my blood, passed on from my father, author Theodore Sturgeon .

A bit of background. About a year ago, I had an idea for a Science Fiction series. A damn good one. Something so unique and so original that I knew it would have legs. I grew up in LA, worked in the industry for almost 10 years and knew a few people. Made some calls set up some meetings and flew out to my old stomping ground in Hollywood.

I pitched 'Project 912' as a TV show... as an online game. As a social networking site. And much, much more. ‘Project 912' is as revolutionary as the Iphone... transfiguration into a whole new entity. It's Web 3.0 or maybe 3.1. Nothing like what we are doing here has ever been done before.

And that was the problem. Lots of doors slammed in my face. A few more on my foot.

So I went back to the drawing board and decided to go completely outside the studio system. I've been quietly working on this for the past year. Next thing I know, Mr. Beck creates a site that sounds very similar to mine and from what I can tell, even gave out my URL, project912.com, by accident, forcing me to pre-launch a bit earlier than expected.

Right now, I have an army of about 40 volunteers, a screen writing team, a storyboard artist and a production team ready to go. Every day people ask to help out. We are just a few weeks from principle photography. But we aren't stopping there. We have an entire world of web content. We have a social networking site up and running and we are designing an online game. The guy who runs the web design part of the Project found an illustrator out of nowhere and is creating a six issue graphic novel. That's being worked on as you read this. Look me up on IMDB.com and you'll see I've gone from 1.8 million in ranking to 250,000. And we haven't gone live yet. The reaction and support was surreal to begin with.

So it's rather funny that I'm getting emails from Glen Beck fans. See, as I said, my series is entirely subversive. It's about a secret war between humans and hidden beings known as "The Threat." In my storyline, everything you experience in this world is put there and manufactured by The Threat to keep humans as a slave workforce. It's a vast, paranoid conspiracy.

The only difference between my storyline and Glen Beck's is the substitution of "The Threat" for the names "Nancy Pelosi and "Barack Obama".

Even funnier is the notion that in going to my site, a frantic message tells you have stumbled onto the human resistance, yet it is quickly obvious that one is dealing with a work of fiction.

However, my email box is currently filled with paranoid rants from Beck's fans, asking me if they can join my resistance thinking my site is his.

I'm not sure if it says more about Beck's fans that they can't tell the difference between reality and Science Fiction, or more that my storyline feels completely real to people.

We'll find out when we go live in the next month or two.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here:


Thank you,

Andros T. Sturgeon

No comments: